Essential to growth for a Christian is cultivating the spiritual disciplines of prayer and Bible study. Often times, those disciplines become dry, routine, and duty instead energizing habits that bring you into a deep soul connection with God where you are experiencing Him.
There is no real life transformation for the Christian if we are not taking the truth of God into our minds (learning about Christ), having that truth move into the heart (where you are moved by that truth) and then having that truth fleshed out in the will where you begin to think and act differently on the basis of that truth.
Over the last few months, I have been doing specific exercises in my personal Bible study to help make the scriptures come alive and help me connect what I am studying in the word to what God is doing in my own life.
Here are seven questions, not original with me, that I have used to help in reading and studying God’s word in an attempt to meditate on its truth, apply it into my life, and connect with God in a personal way.
- What does this passage teach me about God and how can I praise Him from what I learn?
- How can I confess my sins or humble myself on the basis of this text?
- If this is true, what wrong behavior, false attitudes, and faulty emotions result when I forget this?
- How would my neighborhood, my family, my church, my friends be different if they saw this truth deeply?
- Is there evidence in my life that I am remembering and acting out of this?
- What should I aspire to do on the basis of this text?
- Why did God show this to me today?
I will have an audio link up shortly from my message Sunday that explains the questions a little more, and I actually walk through a passage of scripture using them.
I always appreciate your comments and feedback below!